Winter can be a beautiful time of year, but also full of dangers on the roadways. As truck drivers, you spend so much time on the roads and highways all year round. With the special hazards that come with winter weather, it is especially important to me mindful of your safety and the safety of the other vehicles around you. Truck drivers should keep winter weather truck driving safety tips top of mind all season long.
Here are 10 safe driving tips for trucker drivers in winter weather:
- Maintain as much space as possible between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Monitor the weather and stay up to date on weather changes while you are on the road
- Pay attention to tire spray
- Be a defensive driver and never assume the drivers around you will drive safely
- When in doubt about severe conditions or a problem with your truck, pull over to check it out
- Keep your tractor and trailer lights clean and clear
- Jumper cables should always be available
- A flashlight should be kept on hand for emergencies
- Non-perishable food and water should be stored in your tractor-trailer for emergencies
- A bag of sand or salt can really come in handy if you get stuck in snow or ice
We encourage all truckers to put safety first and take care of themselves this winter. We hope these safety tips for winter driving help you stay safe all winter long and avoid the season’s hazards.